Vicarage Lane, Ashford
Role: Developer/Development Manager
Client: Ashford Borough Council
Project Manager: AECOM
Planned uses: residential; F&B, cultural and performance space; co-working; retail
Ashford Borough Council has appointed Milligan to deliver its ambitious town centre regeneration at Vicarage Lane.
The scheme, which includes the former Mecca bingo hall in the Lower High Street, is a proposed mixed-use development, aiming to deliver quality homes, cultural and performance space, food and drink outlets and workspace to complement the market town’s history and heritage. The council’s proposals include the part demolition of the rear of the former bingo hall to reveal an uninterrupted view to the iconic Grade I listed St Mary’s Church, while retaining the high street frontage of the building to create a multi-use indoor event space.
Ashford Borough Council took occupation of the former Mecca bingo hall in September 2018. The building, which had previously housed an Odeon cinema, occupies a prominent position in the town centre and includes an adjacent car park off Vicarage Lane. A public consultation helped shape the vision for the site and led to emerging proposals, which included:
- the part demolition of the main bingo hall to reveal the view to the iconic Grade I Listed St Mary’s Church,
- retention of the Lower High Street frontage with the creation of a multi-use indoor event space seating 120 people,
- the creation of a pleasant pedestrian route through the site and a new public square and event space,
- around 60 new homes and residential parking,
- employment uses with associated car parking,
- opportunities for shops, restaurants and cafes.